Sunday, February 8, 2009

Poetry in motion. Tiger's swing..never mine.

From my first lesson I knew that my ability to master this game was going to be quite limited. First, I'm not two years old (by that age Tiger was already sinking puts on the Merv Griffin show) second, I am very left-handed...an advantage in tennis but not in golf and third, I am a woman. We just do not have the physical strength to propel the ball the distance buff, young men do.

Please view the video link above this post of Tiger's perfect swing which is is how the ball should be struck. But, that didn't mean I couldn't learn to play at least a decent game so I showed up for Lesson 1 with a set of clubs that I had bought off the internet. (That's about as smart as buying eyeglasses off the internet - without a prescription.) Jeff was and continues to be a great teacher. Ever patient, we began to work on first things first - my stance. As unflattering as it sounds, he showed me how to stick my butt out slightly, bend my knees a bit and lean forward so that I could "address" the ball. (Hello ball!)

Photo source: http://www.tigerwoods.com/

1 comment:

  1. Haha! I feel the same way about "The Stance"... not a very flattering position! Stick with it - it's frustrating, but it's so exhilarating when you finally make that great shot that you thought was impossible!

    ReplyDelete