Monday, March 2, 2009

Chipping for Charity


Reins Volunteers Help Disabled Child onto Horse
Picture credit: Reins of Life

The long hours required by my job do not allow me a great deal of free time to do any formalized charity work however I do believe in giving back to the community. I do what I can to help out at Reins Therapeutic Riding Academy. This wonderful organization run by true angels on earth provides therapeutic riding lessons to children with all manner of disability. Reins voluteers help children with Downs Syndrome, autisum, spina bifida, cerebral palsy and a mryaid of other disablities. It is miraculous to see what can be accomplished on the back of a horse. The horses in this program really seem to know they have special passengers aboard. In addition to attending their fund-raising events I also "judge" the horse show they put on so the students and family members get to enjoy what the child has worked hard to learn. I show up in my past horse show garb and because the children never see me, I can actually pull off the judge part.
(You can read all about this wonderful organization at: http://www.reingsprogram.org/)
I was asked to participate in another event for Reins - since I am now learning to play - their fundraising golf tournament. I readily (okay stupidly) agreed -not having a clue what I was letting myself in for.
The day of the tournament promised to be a very warm one. However I had my outfit all picked out; a brand new golf skirt,matching top. new golf shoes and even a cute hat. Perpetually early, bi was one of the first to arrive. I had signed up for the awards dinner but did not realize that a box lunch would be served so I ordered food from the snack bar. I had just finished when they rolled out the golfer's lunches which were much more appealing and healthier than what I had ordered.
Next came the registration process where I learned I was to be teamed up with three gentlemen - all golfers. Oh great! This after I had begged them to please put me with people who were "non-players" just out there to help Reins raise money. Instead, I'm placed with "serious" golfers who want to win!
What happened next? You will have to "tune in" to next week's blog to find out! (Here's a hint....all was not lost!)

No comments:

Post a Comment